Callum Kerr @ Myreside

This afternoon at Myreside Ayr fell short in a 52-point stunner on ladies’ day.

 It was a result that could have gone either way, but truth be told when the going got tough, Watsonians got going. Ayr chased the game from the first minute to the last and did well to make it a three-point ball game on numerous occasions, but there was no denying the hosts composure at decisive moments.

With just two minutes left on the clock Ayr could have squeaked a victory, but Watsonians showed their mettle to stretch the lead and secure a 31-21 final score line.

Watsonians currently find themselves in treacherous relegation territory and came out all guns blazing from first whistle. An early penalty, followed by a converted score shortly after, put them ten points clear after fifteen minutes.

Ayr responded well, and after a period of back-and-forth bagged a try of their own. The backs exploited space out wide to make valuable yards before last-minute stand in Caleb Rae – who was pencilled for the bench before injury to Ben Paterson – muscled his way over. Ritchie Simpson’s conversion made it a three-point game.

Both sides seemed to grow into the game as the half unfolded, but it was the hosts who showed greater discipline. Watsonians mustered their next score from relative obscurity. All winger Jamie Stove needed was a metre head start on his defender to show off his wheels and sprint clear out wide. The touchline conversion concluded the scoring before the interval.

Half-time: Watsonians 17-7 Ayr Rugby.


Despite a discrepancy on the scoreboard, it remained anyone’s game, but Stuart Fenwick’s men knew they needed to start the half with intent. Debutant on the day Moe Zimmerman created an opportunity to do just that when he shot out of the line minutes into the first half to intercept the ball. He galloped valiantly and managed to unleash a speculative offload when brought down. The ball didn’t find the intended target of Danny McCluskey, but the quick-thinking centre managed to hack on and win the foot race for the ball over the line. Richie Simpson added the extras to make it a 17-14 game.

From then on it became a shoot-out. Watsonians would score to make it a ten-point game, then Ayr would retaliate in similar fashion to make it three. Watsonians made it 24-14 first, with Fraser Cousin taking full advantage of Ayr sleeping on a quick tap. True to script, Scott Clelland wrestled his way over to return the favour.

Unfortunately for Ayr the definitive score would be Watsonians next. With the result hanging in the balance at 24-21, Watsonians utilised their next turn to score by leaving mere minutes on the clock for Ayr to answer back.

Despite the result most likely away from them, Ayr still had a try bonus and losing bonus on the table, but they were found wanting on their final attack.

Full-time: Watsonians 31-21 Ayr Rugby.