The new-look Ayr RFC took to their second game of the season at Millbrae against Watsonians on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, which saw a game of two very different halves as Ayr fought back in the second to secure an impressive victory over the Edinburgh outfit.

After only thirty seconds Ayr managed to open the scoring with an excellent try coming from full-back Johnny McCorkindale. A good kick-off allowed Ayr to hit hard on the halfway line where Bova, seizing the opportunity, made a piercing run and broke free before his clever offload freed up McCorkindale to touch down for the try. Bova’s conversion was denied by the bar. Watsonians responded in kind, managing to get over the line in the first attempt after picking themselves up from the early blow, but were thwarted as Ayr held them up. They couldn’t be kept out on the second attempt as Richardson finished a great attacking move from the visitors. Kerr Stoddart nailed the conversion. Ayr continued pressuring - but the visitors continue to keep them out with strong defence. On the quarter mark, both divides of the Millbrae crowd had plenty to shout about with a very physical back and forth approach to the beginning of the first half. Ayr managed to turn defence into attack when Zac Howard broke with Mccorkindale hot on his heels. The wing managed to collect his grubber before passing straight to the full-back who continued on a marauding run, beating off one, then two, then three defenders to score an emphatic try. Bova stepped up and added the extras. Despite an excellent try being scored, a moment of panic struck as Ayr miscommunication at the back gifted the Edinburgh outfit a try, with Watsonians latching onto a loose pass and grabbing the points. The conversion flew wide and the score stood at 12-12. Despite heroic defensive efforts from the likes of youngsters James Baird and Scott Clelland the Edinburgh side pushed through via Tom Richardson, finishing off a counter-attack. Stoddart’s kick skewed wide again leaving the score at Ayr 12-17 Watsonians. HT AYR 12 WATS 17 As the second half kicked off, Ayr hit back in similar stunning style as Johnny McCorkindale popped upper his hat-trick, finishing the phases by crashing through the tackle in bull-like fashion to dot down. Colliers’ introduction to the game injected that little bit more energy into the team, with scrums looking even better than before and Ayr looking ever so confident in the opening of the second half. As they say, start as you mean to go on, and that's exactly what Ayr did with Zac Howard getting himself over the line and more points on the board. Jamie Bova drew the oncoming player in before he releasing Howard through a gap in the line. Before you knew it they were in again! Bova decided to put his own stamp on proceedings by jiving inside to beat his man. He then obliged by comfortably finishing off and converting his try to the jubilation of the Millbrae faithful, making it Ayr 31-17 Watsonians Watsonians looked to be feeling the pressure as they gave away yet another penalty, which this time Bova decided to kick for points, giving the home side a healthy 17-point lead. After coming agonizingly close just minutes earlier, Bova was delighted to orchestrate yet another great try for Ayr. Another piercing run from the 12 allowed James Armstrong to follow up and fend off the defenders to touch down. Bova finished off with a conversion. Watsonians hit back with Stoddart making the yards before his teammate finished off the move by sliding through the backline and over the try line. Stoddart converted to make the score 41-24. There must have be something in the water at half time, as James Pinkerton added yet another try to the mix when he cannoned his way through the defence after Andy Morrison’s pass caught him on the charge. The score sent the Ladies Day crowd into jubilation, capping off an excellent second half of rugby in Alloway. Despite a heroic hat-trick from Johnny Mccorkindale and a bruising 80 minutes from work horse Cam Reece, it was Jamie Bova who picked up Slaters Menswear Man of the match with a towering performance. The centre’s threatening runs inspired Ayr’s second-half blowout. Ayr travel to the capital next week as they face Boroughmuir on Saturday 14th September.