Callum Kerr @ Millbrae

This afternoon Ayr extended their unbeaten streak at Millbrae with a 33-19 victory over Biggar RFC.


Kicking-off at the earlier time of 11:00 am due to the action at BT Murrayfield, both sides were slow out of the blocks, but Ayr came out better off of a frantic second half. The result moves Ayr into joint second position in the league, trailing frontrunners Heriots by two points.

(The boot of Jamie Bova accounted for 18 points. Photo: George McMillan)


Ayr made hard work of it early doors. Just minutes into the contest a destructive rolling maul put the visitors’ inches from the line. Already with a penalty advantage, their nine tried to play it wide but was interrupted by Euan Hamilton, scrambling over the maul. Hamilton was sent to the bin for the infringement.


Ayr did well to exit and received better fortunes seconds later when an intentional knock-on sent Biggar’s twelve to the sin bin, squaring up both sides on 14 men.


After a period of back-and-forth, Ayr opened the scoring on the 23rd minute. From a stolen line out Robbie McLaren found the ball in the middle of the park. He managed to palm off the rushing defender and propel through the line to score. Jamie Bova duly converted.


A pair of penalties shortly after extended Ayr’s lead to 13-0 at the break.


Half-time: Ayr RFC 13-0 Biggar


The break initially suited the visitors better. With a newfound spring in their step, they wasted no time in mounting an attack. From Ayr indiscipline they were rewarded with a kick to the corner which ignited a powerful rolling maul that couldn’t be halted. In the end, it was deemed Number Eight R. Jackson was last to rise from the pile holding the ball. The conversion didn’t connect.


The home crowd were quickly relieved moments later when another pair of penalties from Bova stretched Ayr’s lead to 14.


The decisive moments of the game came after the second penalty. Two converted tries in as many minutes propelled Ayr to 33 points and took the result away from Biggar. The first saw Zac Howard torch up the line, skipping through one last-ditch tackle, to dive clear. The second was almost a carbon copy, with Harry Lynch releasing Ross Gilmour down the same wing to dot down with his first touch of the ball.


In the final stages of the match Biggar managed to salvage two scores of their own to stop the haemorrhaging, but it was too little too late.


Full-Time: Ayr Rugby 33-19 Biggar RFC.


In a match that needed leaders, captain Cam Reece naturally stood up to be accounted for. An aggressive performance around the pitch was matched with an elegant display in the air at lineout time.