David Graham @ Millbrae

Ayr 1xt saw off Aberdeen Grammar 1st XV with a resounding 43-5 win at Millbrae this afternoon, to make it four wins from four home games in the Tennent’s National League, Division 1.

Two tries a piece from John Fulton & super-sub Ciaran Wood, as well as scores from Johan Pottie, Jamie Bova and Man of the Match, Cameron Reece gave the home side and fans plenty to cheer about in an entertaining encounter!

Aberdeen had the first chance to put points on the board, however an early penalty from just over the halfway line fell short, allowing Ayr to re-group.

Moments later, inside the 22’ a fantastic burst from Bova saw him play the ball wide to full-back Scott Watson, passing wide again to John Fulton who looked certain to open the scoring, but was put into touch a yard short of the try line with some superb Aberdeen defending.

After eight minutes, Ayr had their reward, Fulton again involved on the opposite side of a cut-up Millbrae pitch, running free from the Aberdeen tackles, for his first try of the afternoon. Jamie Bova’s first attempt for points sailed narrowly wide.

Five minutes later, Aberdeen were level. A line-out from a second penalty, saw a couple of phases of play before Galloway touched down. The conversion for the visitors also sailed narrowly wide of the posts.

John Fulton added his second try not long thereafter with a brilliant solo run, no messing this time from Jamie Bova who added his first points of the afternoon.

Bova was involved again 90 seconds later, this time to the discontent of the Millbrae faithful as he was given a dubious yellow card for a high-tackle, many would liked to have seen that one again!

Ayr navigated the ten minutes with 14 men well, managing to sustain any pressure from the visitors and they may well have scored again when Ruairidh Anderson was brought down 10m short of the try line.

As Bova returned to the action, Ayr extended their lead.

Ruairidh Sayce, who took several superb line-outs throughout the match, was involved in a maul which saw Ayr edge towards the try line. Aberdeen held firm but conceded another penalty, Ayr took it quickly and captain Recce hit the try line, with Bova converting to make it 2/3 and put Ayr 19-5 in front.

On the brink of half-time, Ayr were once again playing some superb rugby in the middle of the pitch, quick balls and plenty movement off the ball saw Johan Pottie touch down right between the posts, allowing Bova to take his points tally to six for the afternoon by adding a simple conversion.

A bright start to the second half saw Ayr immediately look for their 5th try of the afternoon, however the Aberdeen defense were resilient as they looked for a way back into the match.

They almost did when Shepherd broke five tackles before eventually being brought down by a pumped-up Ayr defensive line.

A triple change after 50 minutes would see the introduction of Ciaran Wood who was involved in the build-up as Jamie Bova scored his first try, however his conversion was once again narrowly wide.

With the game now out of sight at 31-5, Ayr continued to play some excellent rugby.

A fine diving interception from substitute Nick Cox would release a quick ball that found its’ way – at the end of the move – in the hands of Ciaran Wood, to  score his first try of the game, Bova making no mistake this time to further extend the lead.

Wood doubled his tally five minutes later after some fine work from scrum-half Lucas Short to give Ayr their final points of the afternoon, in a match which they controlled from start to finish!

Full-time: Ayr 43-5 Aberdeen Grammar

Man of the Match: Cameron Recce

Ayr 1st XV
15. Watson 14. Howard 13. Anderson 12. Bova 11. Fulton 10. Anderson 9. Short 1. McIntosh-Floyd 2. Rae 3. Sayce 4. Hamilton 5. Leatherbarrow 6. Reece © 7. Pottie 8. McCallum

Aberdeen Grammar 1st XV
15. Shepherd 14. Finlayson 13. Hunter 12. Ryan 11. Renton 10. Knudson 9. Ritchie 1. Ahmanache 2. Spence 3. Galloway 4. Robertson 5. Gamba 6. Burnett 7. Robertson 8. Salem