It was a disappointing afternoon of rugby in the capital for Peter Murchie and his Ayrshire Bulls, falling 27-10 at Myreside in round seven of the FOSROC Super6. Despite a closely contested first forty, the hosts managed to pull away after the break. Carelessness cost, and the trusty boot of Lee Millar kept the Bulls an arm’s length away as the game drew to a close.

Speaking on final whistle, Peter Murchie was frustrated with what he seen from his men: “Watsonians deserved their win. It was a bad day at the office. We could have been more down at half time, they’d a lot of line breaks against us. “Defensively we just weren’t good enough”. The message to the squad at half time was that the game was still there to be taken despite playing poorly, but once Watsonians get on the front foot it seemed to drift away from the Bulls. Peter explained: “When you are chasing the game often mistakes start to happen, and that’s what happened for us”. The Bulls can’t spend to long licking their wounds, with a crunch match against the Southern Knights in just eight days’ time: “We need to be better next weekend. If you react in the right way sometimes setbacks can be useful, but at this minute in time my reaction is just disappointment”. The hosts drew first blood just five minutes in. A lovely break from centre Joey Reynolds split through the midfield, before he selflessly gave up the score for Lomand Macpherson to dive clear. Lee Millar, who is well-known for an impressive strike rate, made no mistake from the conversion. The Bulls reacted well, with an equalising score coming moments later. Ollie Smith wriggled through a handful of tackles to break free. The full-back drew the last man before sending Tom Lewis on his way. Ross Thomson chalked it up with a touch-line conversion. After twenty minutes Watsonians pulled back in front. After a period of pressure in the Bulls 22 Connor Boyle managed to break through, again Millar converted. The visitors managed to muster another bounce back effort but were thwarted numerous times by impressive Watsons defence. Eventually Thompson settled for a routine three points, to scrape at the deficit. Half-time: Watsonians Rugby 14-10 Ayrshire Bulls. Peter Murchie’s men started the second half in fine fettle but couldn’t turn good territory into points. The breakthrough ended up coming from the hosts with almost an hour gone. Edinburgh pro Kunavula pulled off an audacious offload to put Lewis Berg in and take the game away from the Bulls. With the Bulls now trying to force the issue Lee Millar kept his side ticking over from the tee, capitalising on a poor penalty count. Full-Time: Watsonians Rugby 27-10 Ayrshire Bulls. In amongst the rabble of the final half hour Aylan Schabort, Ewan Davies and Grant Anderson all made their Bulls debuts off the bench.