This afternoon Ayr fell the wrong side of a 12-14 nail-biter with Gala Rugby. Despite a frantic start scores soon began to dry up when weather conditions took a turn, meaning Gala’s two-point lead at half-time would see them through to final whistle. After the final whistle Ayr head coach Stuart Fenwick expressed frustration with his sides performance: “We are talking about the same things time and time again. We are making similar mistakes and similar errors. “We tried to play too much rugby in our own half and that really cost us”. A tad more upbeat, Stuart continued: “We showed a whole lot of heart – especially defensively in that second half… We are a team that wants to play rugby, so we don’t want to coach that out of the guys. We just need to make sure we do it in the right areas of the park”. Ayr started the stronger of the sides. A handful of penalties for numerous infringements put them in touching distance, before referee Tom French decided enough was enough and signalled penalty try from a scrum five. Gala’s tight-head Martin Christie was sin-binned in the process. This sparked a reaction from the visitors, who immediately sprung to life. Second row Richie Todd managed to burrow his way over the line after the borderers were held up in the previous play. Fly-half Dean Keddie chalked it all up with the conversion. Just before the half-hour mark Ayr regained the lead. On his debut, Aiden O’Connor sniped clear after a storming break from Euan Hamilton. The 17-year old had a busy introduction to senior rugby but was tamed by the treacherous conditions nullifying his magic feet. The final score of the of half – and coincidentally the game - came from Gala. The visitors shipped the ball wide to Robbie Irvine who powered through contact to finish. Keddie struck a beauty of a conversion given the wind and rain to secure the all-important 12-14 lead. Ayr spent majority of the second half defending for their lives. The only real chance mustered for the hosts came after the clock struck eighty. A last gasp surge put the with a throw-in five metres short of Gala’s line, but they couldn’t connect. The borderers regathered and kicked clear to signal the final whistle. Full-time: Ayr RFC 12-14 Gala Rugby. Camie Black was named Slaters Menswear Man of the Match after another controlling eighty-minute performance at scrum-half. Ayr/Millbrae also fell short of victory, losing 24-31 to GHK 2nd XV.